Hit The Road For Palestine Solidarity!
The Big Ride 2017 is ready to roll. Our rolling protest in solidarity with Palestine hits the road on 4 August, and will be marking
- The third anniversary of Israel’s bombardment of Gaza in 2014, which killed 2,205 Palestinians (including 547 children);
- The 50th anniversary of Israel’s military occupation of the West Bank and Gaza strip (the Occupied Palestinian Territories) in 1967 when 300,000 Palestinians were made refugees and their villages ethnically cleansed; and
- The 10 year illegal siege of Gaza.
This year the Big Ride is a three-day demonstration embarking from Liverpool on Friday 4 August, from where we cycle to Manchester where all riders will be accommodated in ‘home-stays’. On Saturday (5 August) we cycle over the Pennines to Bradford, and will have extra support vehicles on hand. You can cycle as little or as much of the two harder uphill sections as you want. On Sunday 6 August we complete The Big Ride by cycling to Sheffield for our final rally and reception.
With a pro-Israel President in the White House supporting a dangerous right wing Zionist Government hell-bent on expanding illegal settlements, building the international support for peace and justice in Palestine is more vital than ever. The international Boycott Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israeli apartheid is going from strength to strength.
WHY NOT GET INVOLVED? Our main objectives are to raise money for sporting equipment for children in Gaza to help with rehabilitation following the trauma suffered by so many who lost family members during the 2014 bombardment. But we also want to raise public awareness about the plight of the Palestinians, particularly in Gaza.
There are roles for cyclists and non-cyclists alike. You can help us build this event. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact number. We'll then get back to you with a few practical things we need help with. We’d also love to hear from you if you are a poet, singer, rapper or performer as there are opportunities to perform and protest at the rallies we stage along the way.
- Raise support for the Big Ride in your local community, political or workplace organization.
- Cycle with us some or all of the way!
- The Big Ride was initiated in 2015 by activists in Britain, Ireland and beyond who wanted to combine our love of cycling with support for the Palestinian people. We staged a marathon ride from Edinburgh to London over nine days on the first anniversary of the bombardment of Gaza, raising over £65,000 for projects to help children recover from the loss and trauma they suffered.
In 2016 we staged a four-legged ride converging on Birmingham for a community festival followed by a mass ride to Shenstone where we successfully blockaded the UAV factory in protest at its selling drones to Israel.