Scotland - The Remote Highlands
Cape Wrath, a rocky headland where cliffs rise 360 feet from the sea, is the most north-westerly point on the Scottish coast. The name Wrath derives from the Norse word for a turning point.
On the cliff top is a 70 ft high lighthouse built in 1828 by Robert Stevenson. Since 1998 it has been operated remotely from Edinburgh. There are spectacular views of coastline, ocean and a vast moorland wilderness, with no land mass as far as the Arctic. To the north east is Orkney and to the south west are the Western Isles.
There is no public road access to Cape Wrath. A ferry crosses the Kyle of Durness to connect with a summer mini-bus service to the cape. The moorland area around the lighthouse, known as the Parph is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). The cliffs around the Cape support colonies of seabirds including puffins, fulmars, razorbills, kittiwakes and guillemots.
Cape Wrath is owned by the Ministry of Defence and since 1933 has been home to a naval gunnery and aerial bombardment range used infrequently throughout the year by the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.